Thursday, March 15, 2012

Outdoor Courtyard Curtains



Here in the Palm Desert area of California 
we have a LOT of sun!


I would like to share how I solved the problem 
of too much sun on my outdoor furniture and cushions. 
It was jut too bright and HOT! 

DSC01594 (2)
 This is a view of my front door. 
It is in a little alcove and there is seating on the left. 

It makes for a nice place to greet visitors.



DSC01430
 In the winter months it gets the morning sun.
So much that it has begun to fade my
 cushions and pillows.



DSC01625
 This picture shows what a difference the outdoor curtains make.
That little white spot on the cement is the sunlight 
peeking through a little crack where the two curtains meet.



DSC01301




 This is the 'rod' we used. 
It is a metal pipe and fittings 
that The Mr. got at the hardware store. 





I sprayed it with Rustoleum's 
Oil Rubbed Bronze.


DSC01447
Then I made curtain out of painters drop cloth.
I also used some buckram on the curtain headers.
Buckram stiffens it and gives it structureand nice folds.






DSC01428
 This particular drop cloth had a looser weave than I usually get.
At first I didn't like it because it had a lot of movement when I was sewing it. And I did a lot of sewing.



DSC01434
 But now I LOVE it!
There were absolutely no wrinkles after washing. 
It is soft and drapes so nicely. 



DSC01437
 I made two curtains so that I could adjust it for different sun exposures. Sometimes it is pulled to one side like in this photo. Other times it is split in the middle.



DSC01627
 This is the view out into the courtyard.
The Casita's (small guest house) sliding door is to the left. 
Soon we will have tall decorative iron gate in the arched entryway.



DSC01630
This is the arched entry to the courtyard.
We have a view of the mountains off in the distance. 
There are more mountain views from the back patio.


I will try to get a few pictures of how I made the curtains. 
Just so you can see the buckram (stiffening  for curtain headers).
That stuff makes the world of difference when making curtains.


I will be sharing at these fun parties:

xoxo 
Bunny Jean



6 comments:

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Palm Desert is so beautiful! I wish we had sunshine like that out here:)Love the view from your courtyard with the bougainvillea.. so gorgeous! And the drop cloth curtains make your outdoor space so inviting and cozy! Beautiful job!Have a great weekend!~Poppy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful home you have and your patio curtain looks wonderful! Your courtyard is gorgeous and your views are too!
Be a swetie,
Shelia ;)

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

The views are spectacular! I love your curtains! I tried them on my screen porch but they kept getting moldy on me. I don't think I got enough sun on that side of my house to dry them out after they were rained on. Blessings, Tammy

A Cottage in the Clouds said...

Beautiful courtyard and entryway. Wish my bougainvillea would bloom as profusely as yours! Good job on the curtains. They look great.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love your curtain. What beautiful weather you are having! Your home is so pretty. I am drowning here in Oregon...literally.

Creations By Cindy said...

Nice job with the curtain. LOVE your courtyard! WOW! Hugs and blessings, Cindy



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...