Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Baby Hummingbirds



This spring was the first time 
I ever saw a Hummingbird's nest.


(see those teeny tiny little leaves decorating the nest?)

Have you ever been so lucky to see baby hummingbirds?

   



To see them up close... right outside your window?



Right on your patio where you sit every single day?!




I guess momma bird felt welcome...
I do have a lot of cozy birdie decor inside and out. 
(You all know how much I love my birdy decor.)

I watched that little momma bird make her nest, 
sit on her eggs, and feed her babies...
ALL BY HERSELF!

I admit I helped out during a few terrible windstorms
 by tying a guy wire from the branch to the chair. 
I was so afraid they be tossed out or whipped against the wall.

There were even some very cold nights!
One night momma bird didn't even show up to sit on the eggs.

I was a nervous wreck! 
I was sure the eggs were gonners. 
I even felt those little eggs and they were so cold!



Now... don't worry...


 It's not true that you can't touch the nest 
or the mother won't come back... 
because birds can't smell! 

( New research indicates that some birds 
do actually have a sense of smell)


Needless to say the momma returned. 
But in the meantime I had become very attached to them. 

(click on picture to enlarge)

I couldn't help it... 
I named them Tic and Tac.



Then one morning...


Cute little twin Hummingbird babies!
Facing in different directions.
In a few days I found out why they were sleeping like that.



LOOK OUT!


They were shooting out "poop rockets"!!!

I found out the hard way... 
All I can say is be very careful when 
getting  an "up close" look at baby birds!


By the time they left the nest 
they were reaching a distance of 2-3 feet. 
No kidding!

The patio furniture was well within that range 
and even though I cleaned up after them every day 
it just wasn't safe to sit out on the patio.




Then finally sadly it was time for them 
to venture out into the world.


They were even bigger than this by the time they flew the nest. 
I have no idea how they squeezed into it towards the end.
They had to perch on the edge of the nest the last few days.



I enjoyed the experience, however I would rather 
they nest on someone else's patio next time. 
Between all the worrying and cleaning, 
they wore me out!






Thanks for visiting today. 


xoxo
 Bunny Jean







8 comments:

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

So tiny and precious ! :)

Pondside said...

That was adorable! We have hummingbirds up here, but I've never seen a nest - to very tiny. If I ever find a nest, I've been warned, and will stay out of range of those rockets!

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, How incredibly wonderful that you were able to watch these tiny birds hatch and grow. I've never seen a baby hummingbird either-how fun! Thanks so much for sharing.
Noreen

~ The (UN)organized Homeschooling Mom said...

So SUPER tiny!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I have never seen a hummingbird nest--how sweet! Thanks for sharing--I am going to show this to my husband :)

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh my! How sweet! I love humming birds and we have some in our back yard. I've never seen a humming bird nest with eggs though! Just in awe at the beauty and wonder of God! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

xinex said...

Hi Bunny! I saw you on one of my old posts and I just had to say hi to you, I hope you are doing ok...Christine

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Bunny Jean
I hope that you will see this...Thanks so much for stopping by and for leaving a comment letting me know that you did!! I hope you are well and it was nice to hear from you again!!
Hugs,
Debbie



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...